Tuesday, October 4, 2011
What is it about humor? Is it so difficult to crack a good joke? Have you tried telling jokes? Are they your own or are they off the forwards you received? Are they classy or puerile? What defines good humor? Do your jokes make your audience go ROFL or :) or oh!!
Humor looks easy, but is quite an art. Forget about repeating jokes you read somewhere, it takes a certain amount of intelligence and "being there" to make people crack up on day-to-day things. It's quite risky!!!! It could be something in your head and completely something else when you blurt it out.
I have a thing for humor, at least in the use of language in a humorous way. Oh Yeah I do!!! Looking at my previous posts you may color me serious or philosophical, but that's just one side of me.
Anyways, I have tried a few times, though not all of them were conscious attempts at trying to get people go ROFL. I am not even good at it, even if half of them work out, I'd be happy.
Sometimes, the audience doesn't relate to what I say (language barriers) while at other times it is the incidents referred to. But yeah, when I see a ROFL, I do get happy!!! :) Sometimes a :) also makes me go :), but when it comes with raised eyebrows makes me :(
Anyways, I am trying to achieve some success. My most recent made me feel I was becoming the queen of PJs. Most of these I murmur to myself and it sounds funny in my head. But sense of humor does keep you relaxed, even if you tell jokes to yourself. You don't need a Russell Peters for that. But making fun of people can backfire (unlike Russell Peters), so its risky business for lesser mortals. Wonder how many people wanted to throw stones at Mr. Peters before he became this famous and make fun of THE Mrs. Junior Bachchan !!! ROFL
How often do we pick up some of our old belongings like pictures or diaries and reminisce!! Well, the diary I picked up wasn't that old , but I read what I had written a few months ago which was a longer and better version of my previous post. I had forgotten about it. Writing something down and reading it later will surprise the (amateur) writer, it feels like our thoughts were frozen in time and we are revisiting them.
Anyways, I thought it would make a good post. So here it is.... My little pearls of Wisdom!!!!
"Somethings are out of place-not everything that's happening should be happening, IDEALLY. But this is not an ideal world. I am only grateful that all of these didn't happen to me and I have the leisure of giving a commentary when life is going on; like looking through the window onto the street.
- (At the risk of repeating myself :) ) The past is not an indicator of the future!!
- Wherever you are in life, it is sure that you will not stay there forever. Tables turn and "Karma" does exist. You may end up being on the other side of the table.
- Nobody's life is perfect. Of course, perfection is subjective, but everyone's life has a real flaw (like having dysfunctional family, money issues, health issues, job issues, relationship issues)
- Life is not fair. An even playing ground does not exist. Your success in life depends on a lot of parameters- not all controlled. It depends luck, where you are, what you are, who you are, who you know, what you know and what you can do.
- There is no rule book. People always respond to how you are with them.
- No individual has the authority to judge whether you are good or not. These are opinions and are subjective. It helps to be selectively deaf and mute.
- There is always an other side to the story.
- True friends are always there with you, no matter what s#!t you are in.
- Humanity still exists - some faceless strangers help you often
- Career and money are not the barometers of success. They are only tools to living a life that one wants to live well.
- Less is more.
- Never talk about people, because some day you will regret it.
- Live like a child. A child believes that everything in the world is possible."